Thursday, January 16, 2014

1032- H.Stab- p.8-9 step 2-4

Horizontal Stabilizer - 1 hr 41 mins (H.S. 21:58, Empennage 74:06, Total 88:02)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 970)

A short night of work, and unfortunately this is all the work that will be done for the week. Bummer. Work took me out of town for 3 days, and we have a wedding to attend tomorrow. The potential exists for some very good work-related news to come out in the next few weeks, so fingers are crossed. I will share as I find out more.

Started today by attaching the final part of the H-Stab assembly (Stringer Web) and match-drilling it. I don't have an angle drill, so you will see me disassemble some ribs to match drill the holes. I should probably invest in an angle drill, but then again, I could just not be caught off-guard next time and borrow the tool from someone.

After, I attached the rear spar and match-drilled it. Finally started the fun task of match-drilling the HS skins to the skeleton. Really repetitious, and with each hole drilled, comes at least four sides of holes that will need to be deburred next week. I forecast about an hour and a half of drilling, and I would say at a minimum, three hours of deburring holes. I'll still need to clean, scuff, dimple and countersink everything before a final cleaning and priming. Seeing as I'm at 22 hours, I believe I will easily beat the 75 hour build time for the HS that I saw documented by two previous RV-10 builders. I really am starting to worry that I'm working too fast, but I don't feel rushed or hurried at all. I'll evaluate my estimated hours required for the emp kit when I finish the HS in preparation for ordering the next kit. Even with an adjustment, I'm still 3-4 months away from placing the order.



No comments:

Post a Comment