Thursday, January 9, 2014

1030- H.Stab- p.8-7 step 3-5 & p.8-8 step 1-4

Horizontal Stabilizer - 4 hrs 10 mins (H.S. 18:16, Empennage 70:24, Total 84:20)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 970)

Great night of work! Started by deburring the edges of all the inspar and nose ribs from yesterday. Part of this involved grinding down the corners of the nose ribs so they won't dent the skins. I almost lost it when I thought I had modified the wrong pieces. It was the correct part, but the HS-905 piece looks different in the plans. Van's has already made the wire-routing/lightening hole in the ribs and added cuts to minimize the need for fluting, they just haven't updated the plans.
With all edges smooth, it was time to make brackets that will hold the H-Stab while I work on it. I used a small piece of the original plywood from the crate (glad I saved it), and even used the cutouts as the base. I also used scrap pieces from other projects to attach screws. The brackets don't look pretty by any means, but they work, and they are made from all re-used materials. Next was time to attach everything to the front spar and match-drill all the holes. Last, I got the skins from indoor storage and removed the vinyl. I'll get around to hole deburring and assembly next week. I'm out of town the first half of next week, so unfortunately the project will grind a little slower once again.
I got 11 hours of build time in this week, which is what I'd like to be doing on a more consistent basis. With time it will continue to happen. This week away is hopefully going to benefit my future, so the time away from building will be well worth it in the end. I'll keep you posted. -M



No comments:

Post a Comment