Thursday, November 21, 2013

1022.1- Rudder- p.7-9 step 2-8

Rudder - 1 hr 46 mins (Rudder 20:42, Empennage 48:15, Total 62:11)
Rivet count: 33 (Total 629)

-E came over tonight and helped to get the rudder trailing edge sealed, cleco'd, and blind-riveted. That was a tremendous help. You really do need two people to build this monster. No video unfortunately, but there is a picture. I figured out early that I ordered the 3.5 oz from Van's instead of the 1oz. Quick cost analysis was that it was easier to use the tube and waste some than to wait around for new one and far better than overnight shipping cost. Positive news despite the waste is that I learned to use the tube early for repeat use on elevators in a few months. 

I went to rivet the bottom spar and was perplexed about how to buck the narrow parts, only to discover I had a tool (squeezer set borrowed from -B) that I had been ignoring. The other night I "butchered" one side of the rudder, and today the other side went like cake. Go figure. At least that is one lesson learned early for later use. Squeezing rivets is far easier than bucking. 

Tomorrow I'll work ahead on the H.Stab since the rudder needs to sit until Saturday at least. I'm finally in town for a weekend, but with an excessive amount of chores mounting, I may not get a lot done even with the extra time. As much as I enjoy building, the outside of the house is starting to slum up, and that needs immediate attention. -L, hope you're ready for yardwork. Maybe a bonfire is in order with the cold weather too. -M



No comments:

Post a Comment