Wednesday, November 27, 2013

1024- Rudder- p.7-11 step 1-6 & p.7-12 step 1-5

Rudder - 4 hrs 32 mins (Rudder 27:16, Empennage 54:49, Total 68:45)
Rivet count: 104 (Total 896)

Part 2 for the night. After dinner, I went on a rampage of work. I really didn't intend to work this long, but then again I did want to finish up. At 2:30 in the morning, I was all done, and am posting this a day later.

I started off by riveting the trailing edge of the rudder. Double flush rivets are definitely not my strong point. There are all kinds of dents and marks, but since I am not polishing the plane, they will all be filled and painted over, so I really don't mind. It will likely be the same for the elevators when I do them. Unfortunately, I bought aluminum angle instead of angle iron or steel, so it is all bent and deformed and can't be used again.

Then came the fun task of bending the leading edges. I really hated that, and I am not looking forward to doing the elevators. It took a few attempts to get the two skins to match up and making the bent edge smooth against the bottom edge. 

Last, was attaching the counterbalance weight and bending the metal at an angle to fit snug. At over an hour to get three holes to match up, it took entirely way too long. Twelve little rivets later, the rudder was complete! -M

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment