Tuesday, November 19, 2013

1021- Rudder- p.7-7 step 1-5

Rudder - 1 hr 28 mins (Rudder 17:32, Empennage 45:05, Total 58:31)
Rivet count: 157 (Total 548)

Very productive night! Started riveting of the rudder, first by putting together the lower rib and rudder horn, then putting together the rudder spar and reinforcement plates. All assemblies required a platenut to be attached and I think I checked and verified the orientation of them about 17 times each. I was really paranoid about making a mistake there. It all worked out.

Then I back riveted all the stiffeners to the skins. It turns out as I suspected, that back riveting is not only really easy, but also very fun. Not to mention it is about 3 times more time efficient than bucking. I did the second skin, 63 rivets, in about 20 minutes. Tomorrow night should be a relatively short night of normal bucking, and then Thursday night may be time to bust out the tank sealant for the trailing edge assembly. -M



No comments:

Post a Comment