Wednesday, November 27, 2013

1023- Rudder- p.7-10 step 1-7

Rudder - 2 hrs 2 mins (Rudder 22:44, Empennage 50:17, Total 64:13)
Rivet count: 163 (Total 792)

First day working on the plane in the last 6. Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better. This past weekend was event filled, to include turning my girlfriend into my fiancee! Needless to say, there was no work done. I spent the past two nights catching up on Master's degree work from the weekend, and starting tomorrow, I am out of town for Turkey day, and then out of town on business for two weeks. The next time I build will be 16 December at the earliest.

I got home from work early today and set my sights on getting the rudder done before this long hiatus. Not only is it a major milestone, but all the build is fresh in my mind, and it saves me from having to relearn some things. In part one of the night, I worked on the spar before hunger took control. I simply needed to blind rivet the spar to the clips. On the last rivet, it didn't seat all the way. I went to drill it out, but all it did was bend the shear clip. I had to drill out all of the blind rivets to fix the clip and then start over. Not very pleased about that. After getting the spar to the clips then came time to rivet the skins to the spar. the overhang for the leading edge was too much to use the squeezer so bucking time it was. last was squeezing the counterbalance rib to the skin. Easy work (albeit frustrating at times) for the before-dinner work. -M




No comments:

Post a Comment