Sunday, November 2, 2014

1061- Tailcone- p.10-6 step 1-3 & p.10-7 step 1-7

Tailcone- 4 hrs 41 mins (Tailcone 16:10, Empennage 152:42, Total 173:38)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 2,154)

First thing today was to make the longerons. They needed a small cut off the end, and then a mark for the bend and a 1/4" hole with cut-outs to the edges to make a v-shape. The bend part itself was a pain. The vise that I have works well for holding things for to work on and drill, but not so well for heavy-duty jobs. I eventually hammered the 2 degree bend into them, with only minimal damage to my table.

Once the longerons were complete, the admin steps are done (for the most part) and we can begin assembly of the tailcone. I don't have sawhorses and I didn't feel like making any so I improvised with my ladders. The bottom skin gets hung upside down and the frames and bulkheads are cleco'd in place. Then the bottom stiffeners are located and match-drilled to the skin. After the right side skin was positioned over three more stiffeners. After clecoing the side skin, the next three stiffeners were match-drilled. At 250 holes on the skin, this process takes some time. 

Thankfully, the tailcone is beginning to resemble something. See the video below to take notice. Thankfully, daylight savings gave me back an hour to work on the parts a bit extra today. The aft frames and bulkheads are next followed by the left side skin and the three associated stiffeners. -M



No comments:

Post a Comment