Saturday, November 15, 2014

1066- Elevators- p.9-13 step 1-3 & p.9-14 step 1-6

Elevators- 4 hrs 56 mins (Elevators 55:40, Empennage 178:39, Total 199:35)
Rivet count: 400 (Total 3,348)

The first hour of this was actually a few days ago, but I forgot to upload it then.

Today's work was centered around attaching the front spars and rudder horns to the assembly. The flanges were all riveted except for the part that will have the hinge for the trim tab, and the remainder of the skin was also riveted on. 

Then the counterbalance assemblies were attached and riveted as well. The pieces finally look like something recognizable. Tomorrow I get to work on the trailing edges and use epoxy sealer as well. The pieces will have to sit for a few days to cure, so it will be at least until next weekend before I finish the elevators. I'm still sitting at that 75-80% of expected work hours [I had forecast 80 hrs for the elevators] to get the project done. Being on schedule (despite the six month layover) is always a nice thing. -M


2 comments:

  1. Prospective RV10 builder here: this is the first time I hear about using sealant in the tail kit, so I'm curious - why is that needed?
    Thanks and nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plans call for using the sealant. Some models have a bent piece of metal for the trailing edge (RV-8 I think?). The 10 uses the edge of metal skins and the AEX wedge.

      Delete