Sunday, November 23, 2014

1068- Elevators- p.9-14 step 11-12 & p. 9-15 step 1-2

Elevators- 2 hrs 10 mins (Elevators 61:40, Empennage 184:39, Total 205:35)
Rivet count: 78 (Total 3,504)

Today was a short day of work. We removed the cleco's after giving the sealant more than enough time to cure. We also cleaned out the rivet holes of extra sealant. Then we riveted the ends together. I'm not sure if the method that I used for the elevators was different than for the rudder, or if it is that my riveting finesse has increased, but it was alot easier to accomplish this part than what I remember from almost a year ago. It even looks nicer when finished.

After, we finished riveting the skins to the end ribs. My squeezer is too big, so I ended up having to use an MK-319 rivet on the last hole of the bottom elevator skin (it matches the two other MK rivets on that skin that are called for in the plans. Finally, we blind riveted the close out tabs to finish the aft ends of the elevator.

Next we will finish up with the leading edge, then the counterbalance weights, and finally the trim tabs. I'll be done with the elevators before December! -M


No comments:

Post a Comment