Saturday, November 29, 2014

1069- Elevators- p.9-15 step 3-7

Elevators- 2 hrs 32 mins (Elevators 64:12, Empennage 187:11, Total 208:07)
Rivet count: 66 (Total 3,570)

This is actually multiple days worth of work, but due to the Thanksgiving weekend, I wasn't able to get a solid chunk of time to work on the elevators. 

I started out by bending the edge of the top skin so that it will sit flush after riveting the two skins together. Then we used the duct tape and PVC pipe method to roll the leading edges of the elevator and cleco'd them together. After clecoing, there were still a few places where the edge wasn't flush. This simply required undoing the clecos and bending the edge more evenly. It's not perfect, but I'm not too concerned. It will eventually get filled in and smoothed prior to painting in the future. Thankfully, that's all riveted together and complete. My hands are torn up from bending cold metal.

Then we blind riveted the cover plate pieces together. Last, I marked off the lead counterweights for the trimming that will take place tomorrow. The video cuts out before I finished riveting the second elevator. I actually left a few rivets for tomorrow as well. -M


No comments:

Post a Comment