Thursday, October 31, 2013

1015- Rudder- p.7-6 step 11-12

Rudder - 1 hrs 58 mins (Rudder 13:34, Empennage 28:46, Total 41:06)

Dimpled all the rudder skeleton pieces. Almost forgot to scuff, but caught myself after two pieces. After everything was scuffed and dimpled, the next step calls to countersink the trailing edge. The wedge proved troublesome. I needed to make it parallel to the drill, so I clecod the other wedge to the back. Upon attempting to drill with the press, found out the the nub on the bit wouldn't go clean through. The match drilling calls to be perpendicular to the chordline, so the angle was now off by 6 degrees. What a pain. Researched a little online and went with the technique of using the deburring bit without a nub. I had to be extra careful using the countersink cage to make sure I was centered on the holes. Guess I'll find out when it's time to start riveting whether this worked or if I'll be ordering a new piece. Rudder is now ready for priming.

I looked ahead at the Horizontal Stab section and found out it calls for priming in batches. I plan to work ahead and get the next two pieces on the HS assembled so I can prime them along with the Vert Stab and Rudder. -M



No comments:

Post a Comment