Wednesday, October 23, 2013

1011- Rudder- p.7-4 step 5, p.7-5 & p.7-6 step 1-2

Rudder - 1 hr 4 mins (Rudder 5:22, Empennage 20:34, Total 32:21)

Light work today. A lot of easy steps. Countersink the striker plates that were assembled yesterday. I really need to invest in another countersink cage so that I can keep the #30 in one permanently. The adjustments are taking their toll. I also got tired of picking up the large plastic bin to sweep the aluminum shavings into, so I made a scoop out of half an old detergent bottle. It works much better.

Next step was to assemble the stiffeners and shear clips, and I screwed up by initially putting the shear clips upside down. I didn't notice until after match drilling. Thanks to modern technology and the symmetry of Van's pre-punched holes, it was an easy fix. Crisis averted. I attached these to the spar followed by two reinforcement plates. Then assembled the top rib and attached it and the counterbalance rib to the spar. Really easy work all around.

I'm stopping early tonight in order to study up for my FAA PPL checkride tomorrow morning. I'll hopefully be celebrating success tomorrow with assembly of the rudder skins! -M



No comments:

Post a Comment