Monday, July 27, 2015

1087- Tailcone- p.10-20 step 2 (part 1)

Tailcone- 2 hrs 20 mins (Tailcone 73:00, Empennage 248:32, Total 269:28)
Rivet count: 246 (Total 4,094)

A milestone day! At 73 hours and counting, I've now spent more than 3 days and counting working on the tailcone. This also surpassed the 71 hour mark set while working on the elevators. The real milestone was in setting my 4,000th rivet! At an estimated 14-16,000 rivets on the project, that puts me at 1/4 of the way with the structure. That's not including the endless hours that will be spent on things like electrical, engine, interior, fiberglass, etc. (All the things without rivets) At 248-270 hrs, I'm roughly about 10% complete with the project! This is both super exciting and depressing that it has taken me nearly two years to get to this point with all the delays and stoppages due to work. More on that tomorrow hopefully. I'm waiting to hear back from a job-related assignment.

The video will show me riveting the the three stiffeners to the right skin. There's still and equal number of rivets on the left skin, and even more for the bottom skin. I have reached a point where I will have to recruit outside help for bucking. In theory, I could back rivet the stiffeners to the bottom skin, but I would imagine Van would have determined the proper building method for a reason, so I'll stick with the bucking bar for now. This one step is on pace to take 7 hours to accomplish. Onwards and upwards! -M


No comments:

Post a Comment