Saturday, July 18, 2015

1084.2- Tailcone- p.10-17 step 3 (part 3)

Tailcone- 2 hrs 20 mins (Tailcone 64:43, Empennage 240:15, Total 261:11)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 3,694)

The priming is complete. Started the day off with a trip to Harbor Freight. Surprise win as I walked in and saw they sold gauges on their own for compressors. Figured I'd take a six dollar gamble that it was compatible instead of buying a $150 compressor and it worked! so the old compressor is back in business... Also, yesterday I spent some time looking into possibly getting a new HVLP gun, and I came across a few videos on youtube with a different way of setting it up than I had. Basically, I'm now shooting less volume but as a result using a narrower stream. Works really well for small parts and flanges. Not so well for skins, but it's still manageable. I was able to give two coats to all the parts not primed and give a touchup coat to the parts already primed, and I used a batch and a half of primer. So previously, I was wasting ALOT of primer as extra mist into the air. The downside is that some of the pieces are a little thick on primer due to one previously applied coat that was a lot thicker, and a really thin touch up coat. Hopefully all the pieces still fit together well. I'll find out when I start riveting and there's no going back at this point. As seen below, the garage is a mess with parts everywhere drying out. On to assembly and riveting!! -M


No comments:

Post a Comment