Saturday, July 11, 2015

1083- Tailcone- p.10-16 step 2-3

Tailcone- 3 hrs 43 mins (Tailcone 55:24, Empennage 230:56, Total 251:52)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 3,686)

It was a gorgeous day outside. I thought I'd be able to get all the pieces dimpled and start working on getting things primed up today, but two things happened. First, I severely underestimated how long it takes to dimple thousands of holes. It took nearly two hours just to get the side skins done. I was also able to get the bottom skin and start work on the first of the top skins. Second, my dimple die broke on me...
I tried to round off the sharp edge and see if I could still use it by being careful, but the first dimple I tried didn't come out great and I wasn't about to risk it with 60%+ of the dimples left to go. An internet shopping experience and $40 later, and I'll have a new dimple die in the mail in a few days. I spent the last half hour or so reviewing the plans and marking off the holes that won't get dimpled.

So, three hours of dimpling and I'm not even half way. For every hole on the skins, there will be a hole (or two) that needs dimpling on the substructure frames or stiffeners. So we still have about 4 hours of dimpling left once the new die arrives in the mail. As I marked off what needed dimpling still, I also separated the parts that were ready for priming. I know it will take me at least 4 batches of primer epoxy to get everything done, so it appears I'll at least be able to move forward with priming if the weather tomorrow is as good as it was today. Even so, since I started with the skins instead of the frames, once I do get things primed, I'll only be able to rivet some nutplates while I wait for the remaining parts to get dimpled and primed. Had I started with the frames and stiffeners, then I'd just have to wait to prime and attach the skins,

Also, if ever there was an ad for joining an EAA chapter, this scenario would be it. I knew I was only going to be in MS for a year, and a busy year at that, but I'm sure there's a fellow builder out there that would have gladly lent me a dimple die for a few days while the new one gets shipped. Then again, maybe it's a sign of divine intervention since I'm due for a checkride this week. A sign I should be focused on studies instead of on building... Well, $h!t happens. -M


No comments:

Post a Comment