Monday, April 7, 2014

1054- Elevators- p.9-16 step 4-5 & p.9-17 step 1-4

Elevators - 2 hrs 34 mins (Elev. 30:48, Empennage 135:13, Total 149:09)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 2,154)

Started tonight by finishing the main bend in the trim tabs. I used a makeshift brake and then settled for hands. This worked out really well until the next step which is to bend the side tabs on the trim tab. All the previous bending was negated while trying to get tools, wedges, and rivet guns in the tight spaces. I def screwed up one of the four corners, but not so bad to warrant a new part. I'll keep building for now, and if I have to reorder, then I will.
Next, I deburred the edges of the trim tab spars and then make the 15 degree bend in the two bottom edges of the trim tabs. Easy enough. Then, I used a washer to measure out the arcs on the trim tab brackets which I cut off with the bandsaw. I felt using the washers was a whole lot more accurate than eyeballing it, AND since the pieces sit back-to-back, it guaranteed me consistency and now the pieces are flush with each other. A little more edge deburring before match-drilling everything to end the night. 
Hole deburring and dimpling/countersinking are next for tomorrow and then its cleaning and alodining time once again. I was originally planning for 80 hours on the elevators. I would expect to be right around 40 by the time I finish priming. Seems I'll be able to make up for a little more time on this piece as well. -M


No comments:

Post a Comment