Friday, April 4, 2014

1053- Elevators- p.9-9 step 7-8 & p.9-16 step 1-3

Elevators - 2 hrs 2 mins (Elev. 28:14, Empennage 132:39, Total 146:35)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 2,154)

Started off the day with a quick trip to the airport to help -E with some soldering for his RV-8. While I was there, I also managed to get into -B's hangar and use his vise-grip dimpler for the 12 holes from last night. It worked like a champ, and I saved myself $45 as quoted in Avery as the price for the tool. Nothing like great friends. Thanks -B!
At home, I started by making the bend in the trailing edge of the skins for riveting the elevators later on. The next step called for scuffing the locations where the foam ribs would attach, but i had scuffed the whole skins already. Later on, I'll have to mask off these areas so I can prime everything but them. Then it was time to jump ahead 6 pages in the plans to work on the trim tab pieces, but first the directions called for fabrication.
First, the wooden pieces that will hold the trim tabs together. I made eight instead of six expecting I'd screw up a few, and sure enough, I screwed up on one. Seven. Then I fabricated the six foam ribs for the trim tabs. This was the easiest cutting job ever. Last step was to scuff. I went ahead and scuffed all the trim tab pieces while I was at it. I'm in town with -L for the second time this year, so I may actually get to work on this during the weekend. If the weather holds this week (Rain forecast for Monday), I should be able to prime parts and begin riveting by midweek... -M


No comments:

Post a Comment