Wednesday, February 26, 2014

1042- Elevators- p.9-2 step 1 & 7

Elevators - 3 hrs 16 mins (Elev. 3:16, Empennage 107:41, Total 121:37)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 2,154)

Busy work. Very boring yet important busy work. Very repetitive too, but then again that's part of the therapy of it all.

I started by cutting the sixteen ribs in two. Four cuts per rib. A lot of cutting.
The shear clips are the only other piece that requires extensive cutting in step 7, so I went ahead and used the bandsaw for those pieces too.

Then I removed the blue vinyl from all the alclad parts. A lot of removing.
I noticed on the skins there were two shades of blue vinyl. The darker stuff was a pain to remove and left behind patches of hardened glue on the surface of the aluminum. Nothing a little acetone couldn't handle.

Then I deburred the 36 rib halves and shear clips. A lot of deburring.
Looking ahead, step 2 is to "deburr edges of all elevator parts." Guess I know what my next 2+ hrs of build time will be spent on.. yippee

Excited to start the next chapter nonetheless! -M


No comments:

Post a Comment