Friday, February 21, 2014

1040- H.Stab- p.8-13 step 2-3

Horizontal Stabilizer - 1 hr 42 mins (H.S. 47:23, Empennage 99:31, Total 113:27)
Rivet count: 164 (Total 1,520)

A much more efficient night tonight from last session. I'm also minutes away from breaking the 100 hr mark on the empennage, which I'm estimating at about 240 total hours right now.

I turned the H.Stab around and did the remaining 120 rivets between the skins and front spar. Since I finished this half so much quicker, I went ahead and started the next step. This involves riveting the skins to the four inboard inspar ribs, but only up to the stringers. After the stringers are riveted to the skins, then the rest of the inspar ribs (to include the three outboard ribs) can be riveted to skins.

I'm learning a few tips and techniques. As the riveting is blindly done by feel a lot in these steps, I've learned that wrapping the bucking bar in tape helps guard against scratching the surfaces as it bounces. This also allows me to use the adjacent surfaces as a point of contact to stabilize the bucking bar, and in turn requires less taps from the rivet gun to set the rivet. Whereas the rivets on the first pieces I made were quite varied, they are beginning to normalize and look uniform throughout. Cheers, -M



No comments:

Post a Comment