Wednesday, August 30, 2017

1093- Main Spar- p.13-2 step 1-3 & p.13-4 step 6-11

Section 13: Main Spar- 5 hrs 59 mins (Main Spar 5:59, Wings 8:59Empennage 265:24, Total 292:19)
Rivet count: 16 (Total 5,337)

This post covers three days of work between 4-6 September 2015 and two hours of priming not seen in the video. These were the last days in MS as was discussed in the last post. It marks the official start of work on the Wing Kit. I had shipped the Wing Kit to MS not knowing if there would be lots of free time to build or not. It turned out that I could have saved myself some trouble by not doing so, since it took a year to finish up the empennage and only 6 hours of work were done on the wings. However, I'm sure that this happened only because I had shipped the kit early. I'm sure if I hadn't, I would have had ample time and be wishing I HAD ordered it. Murphy's law!

We started by pulling the plastic off of lots of parts, labeling them, and deburring lots of edges. Then we got the main spar web extension in place to include match drilling and deburring the holes. The last bit consists of fabricating the wing tie downs (cutting and tapping threads), match drilling them to the main spar, and machine countersinking them to allow nutplate installation. This is one of those depressing moments where 4 hrs of work are spent to tidy up a lot of pieces and four pieces to the assembly. I get the impression that the wing kit will have plenty more of this in the coming months. Onwards we go!





No comments:

Post a Comment