Saturday, June 27, 2015

1073- Tailcone- p.10-8 step 4-7 & p.10-9 step 1-5

Tailcone- 2 hrs 27 mins (Tailcone 21:01, Empennage 196:33, Total 217:29)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 3,686)

Yeah! Back to building!! It's been five months since I've touched anything in the garage. Pilot training has been consuming my life with 12 hour days and our firstborn made her way into this world six weeks ago. No complaints, though, everything that has happened in the last 5 months has been worth prioritizing over.

Today we started by cutting some pieces to make stiffeners and braces for the back end of the tailcone. Funny enough, I made two braces when I only needed one, so I'll be needing to order a 7 inch piece of angle iron (aluminum) from Van's to make whatever part that extra was going to be originally. At least I screwed up a $3.35 part instead of a $100 skin. I'll take it as beginner's bad luck for getting back in the swing of things.

After, we cleco'd the last frame to the front of the tailcone, and then attached a few supporting parts. Lastly we made more stiffeners for the front of tailcone that will eventually support the plane's battery. After countersinking, and match drilling the platenut holes, it was time to call it a day. G has some beers and working while drinking is never a good idea. I'll continue tomorrow. -M


No comments:

Post a Comment