Thursday, March 20, 2014

1047- Elevators- p.9-7 step 4-7

Elevators - 2 hr 22 mins (Elev. 15:41, Empennage 120:06, Total 134:02)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 2,154)

Finished the last bit of drilling today (not counting the quick steps with the trim tab of course) by attaching the anchor brackets to the cover plates. Of course the brackets are steel and having to drill holes in them meant that I killed my #30 bit in the process. Chalk up a $1 piece to make 8 holes. That's likely the first of many extraneous expenses in the years ahead for this plane anyway...

Then I made the mistake of going full monkey-with-a-banana mode and following the directions step-by-step to dimple the cover plate and reinforcement plate. I didn't deburr holes or scuff the pieces first. Meh, i'll scuff them last since the dimples will tear up the scothbrite pad when i do so.

Last, disassembled and labeled everything. Pretty long two hours for minimal work I'd say. Next steps are to deburr all holes and edges, as mentioned, I think slightly out of order. At least two hours of deburring, and looking ahead, nearly every piece is getting dimpled as well. Onwards. -M


No comments:

Post a Comment