Wednesday, March 5, 2014

1044- Elevators- p.9-4 step 1-3 & p.9-5 step 1-4

Elevators - 1 hr 51 mins (Elev. 8:33, Empennage 112:58, Total 126:54)
Rivet count: 0 (Total 2,154)

Today was a fun day. All the bits and pieces that were laid out are coming together into something recognizable as the elevators. Started by match drilling the front spar and the braces. Then I got to bust out the uni-bit to drill two cable routing holes in the spars. I used the drill press for far better control over the hand drill. It was disconcerting drilling that 5/8" massive hole in the piece. But they came out pristine.
Next, I cleco'd together the skin and front spar. Of course I reversed it and initially installed it wrong, but luckily, once again, I caught my mistake early. Then cleco together the 16 ribs, 2 root ribs, 2 rear spars, and two of the brackets. Light on the drilling tonight. Only match drilled on the spars, where the skin wasn't involved. That bit comes later. Lots of visual progress on the parts!

I stopped early after finishing two whole pages of work. The next two pages won't be so quick. -M



No comments:

Post a Comment