Friday, July 17, 2015

1084.1- Tailcone- p.10-17 step 3 (part 2) and step 4

Tailcone- 1 hr 45 mins (Tailcone 62:23, Empennage 237:55, Total 258:51)
Rivet count: 8 (Total 3,694)

Step 4 actually took place a couple nights ago when my friend C.W. came over and I was showing him around the shop and how everything flows for the build. We assembled the bellcrank assembly and then I let him squeeze a few rivets in. Nothing major as far as progress, but figured I would document it for the build and to keep track of the 15 minutes or so that we spent.

Bellcrank Assembly
I got home from work today in a less than stellar mood. I was hoping a little progress would help, but I was sadly mistaken. I decided to try my theory of waiting for the sun to start to drop before painting. It worked perfectly for controlling heat, but I failed to consider the mosquito population that is out looking for a meal. I even was bit in the face, and let me tell you, it is a lot more painful than one would imagine. The other bit of bad news is that the outflow pressure gauge on my compressor broke. So I won't be able to tell how softly or how hard I'm driving the rivet gun. A weekend trip to Harbor Freight is in order.
I made a big batch of primer tonight, and was able to get all the stiffeners, longerons, the rest of the side skin and one of the top skins. I think I might be able to finish off the priming with just one more batch. I still have the frames/bulkheads, the other side skin, and the other top skin left to go. What I did notice after grabbing the parts when they dried is that some places I didn't get the primer as well as ideal. So I'll say two more small batches, and we are definitely in the clear. -M

No comments:

Post a Comment